Spring is here but the weather is still a bit chilly, so it was a perfect day to make a good homemade soup. Chris and I decided on a hearty mushroom and barley soup from the KitchenAid Recipe Collection cookbook I got a few xmas’ ago (which is full of a lot of great recipes). There’s just something about having the smell of soup stewing all day, it’s the best. Anywho, the recipe is below and I highly recommend this soup for when you are low on ingredients, you can pretty much put any vegetable you have in the fridge and it works. Enjoy!
Hearty Mushroom and Barley Soup
- 9 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (I used one of each this time and it was awesome)
- A bunch of sliced button mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup of pearl barley
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (I have never used these but I’m sure it would be awesome)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I double this!)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
Makes 8 Servings
- Combine everything in a 5-quart slow cooker or dutch oven.
- Cover; cook on low 4 to 6 hours and then you’re done!